Thursday, December 30, 2010

Did you feel it?

Out the window at the O'Hara Corner Farm is not very exciting this morning:


















Though it does help when you take a glance at the thermometer, and realize that it is above freezing for the first time in weeks:



















Did you feel what though? The earthquake, a 3.8 which occurred at 7:55 AM this morning according to the U.S. Geological Survey with an epicenter in th central Indiana. I evidentally had dozed off while watching the news this morning . . . the next thing I know Checkers the dog is going crazy, and the it feels like there was a really loud crash of vibrating thunder or a big tree fell down nearby, or a car went off the road and hit then house. After a quick check out the window, I concluded that none of the above had occurred. Maybe I was imagining things, but that would mean that Checkers and I were imagining things together. Not highly likely . . .


So as I'm puttering around this morning, with the news still on, the guy on the news is talking about how they've gotten all these phone calls about an earthquake. Now I know that Checkers and I are not crazy. I'm surprised our cats weren't yowling too. Pumpkin, our large, elderly calico cat is known for her prediction of the weather, i.e. if a a big storm is coming she will sit halfways down the stairs and yowl. We think she can feel the change in barometric pressure. I would have thought an earthquake was enough to bring out her inner craziness,  but evidentally she was in the throes of her hours long morning nap.


So now after a bit of morning craziness, we are back into a wet, warmer winter day. Grocery shopping, putting a new zipper in my outdoor work coat, and general household chores. Or if you're the chickens, a good day to get outside, an scrounge around for grass, weeds, and undigested corn out of cow patties (I know ... EWWW!!!).



No comments:

Post a Comment