Monday, February 28, 2011

Sap Run


















I'm running out of picture ideas to show what's going on on the farm right now. Most of it has to do with buckets on trees and kettle on a propane burner. From 8AM yesterday to 9 AM today we have collected almost 15 gallons of sap from our tiny sugar bush of 5 trees! I am not kidding. I believe this is what would be called a run among maple surgarers, compared to the 12 gallons collected over the 12 days leading up to the last 24 hours. The temp is dropping this morning, so I expect it to taper off this afternoon as it drops below freezing. But I have now experienced what the drop in barometric pressure related to an early spring storm does to sap flow. Pretty impressive. Just imagine the tens or hundreds of gallons pouring into storage tanks and evaporators in the sugar bushes across the northern part of the state this morning!

Well . . . my post is short this morning. Got to go tend the sugaring kettle, and check on the piglet. I promise a picture as soon as he gets over his cold and is looking a little more photogenic. Though he is cuter now that his belly has filled out. He seems to be gaining weight pretty well now that he doesn't have to fight a bunch of brothers and sisters to get to the feed trough.

1 comment:

  1. Sure did enjoy yesterday at church. I can just picture you with a piglet and making syrup. You are a multi-talented lady.

    ReplyDelete