Friday, February 11, 2011

Seriously Mother Nature???



Yes you're seeing right. My thermometer displayed a temperature of -15.3 degrees Farenheit around 7:00 AM yesterday morning. Mother Nature can calm down anytime now. I think we understand what winter is. Snow I can handle, but weather cold enough that your fingers go numb in wool mitts in the short time it takes to do chores. I would rather pass, but since that would involve moving . . . I guess I'll just deal. At least it hasn't been this way all winter.

I think it's just a last hurrah before sugaring weather hits. Looking at the weather forecast next week makes me think we need to get the buckets washed. Above freezing during the day, below freezing at night, mid to late February, might be time to drill a test hole and see what happens (we don't have this down to a science yet, much more experimental). We are wondering what last fall's drought will do to sap flow this spirng.

Other reasons that it can get above freezing anytime it darn well wants to:
























Yes, that's the path to the "barn", shed, livestock, whatever you want to call it. Yes, it is pure ice. Salt doesn't do a whole lot when its this cold. Think may try salt again today since it's supposed to get up in the 20's, with some sun it may work. Come on 33 degrees!


In the house its a little more springy. We're watching the seed starting flats for signs of onion sprouts. My freesia is going crazy with its profusion of leaves. I think it would just like it to be a little warmer in its sunny windowsill:
























And after thinking that it was probably not going to sprout this year, my amaryllis has finally started to push up a couple of leaves, thought no sign of a flower bud yet . . .














Out the window its still like this:



















We'll see if the weather forecast pans out, and next week gives us a different view.

No comments:

Post a Comment